- Freshly cracked pepper
- 4 cups broccoli roughly chopped (use the stems as well as the florets).
- Pasta of your choice (The pesto recipe serves four people)
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 2 packed cups fresh herbs (mint, basil and coriander work well)
- Black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Steam the broccoli for 4 -5 minutes until a vibrant green and tender. Remove broccoli from steamer and run under cold water to stop from cooking further and set aside to cool.
- Cook your pasta of choice, as per the packet instructions—for this recipe we pan fried gnocchi, you could boil spaghetti or use up any leftover pasta in the fridge.
- In a food processor place the garlic, cooled broccoli, olive oil, salt and pepper and pulse. scraping the bowl occasionally, until smooth. Add the herbs, walnuts and parmesan and pulse until combined. Combine the pesto to your desired consistency (we served ours slightly chunky).
- If you are boiling your pasta empty ¾ of the pasta water out and add the pesto the pan and stir to combine. If you are pan frying gnocchi reduce the heat to low and stir through pesto until combined.
- Add lemon juice and toss until the pasta is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper, serve and enjoy.
(optional) Garnish with lemon zest, grated cheese, crushed walnuts and fresh herbs.
WE LOVE LEFTOVERS: To freeze leftover pesto, spoon pesto into ice cube trays and place in the freezer until solid, store for up-to three months. Whenever you want a little hit of fresh herby pesto simply toss a cube or two into a hot dish; or defrost and spread onto sandwiches.