- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups (285g) Tasmanian extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups (305g) milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more as needed
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Oil, butter, or spray a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. (If your cake pan is less than 2 inches deep, divide between 2 pans and start checking for doneness at 30 minutes.)
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice and Grand Marnier. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, 2 hours.
TIP: This recipe can be modified to use any in-season citrus; limes taste brilliant with a sprinkling of shaved coconut on top—delish!