- 1 kg pumpkin, halved
- 1 red onion, halved
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 50g of butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 big bunch of kale or bag of spinach
- 500g fresh ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 250g grated cheese
- Lasagne sheets
- Preheat oven to 180C Place the pumpkin halves and the white onion on a greased baking tray and roast until the pumpkin is tender.
- Remove the onion after about 20 minutes and chop into small dice.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl with the chopped onion and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the stalks from the kale, finely chop the leaves and stalks.
- Heat a large fry pan add the butter and remaining olive oil, soften the kale stalks and garlic for a for about 3 minutes, then add the chopped leaves. Cook stirring occasionally until the leaves have wilted and softened. Season to taste. Set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, mix the egg with ricotta in a bowl. If the mix is too stiff add a little milk or water. You want it to be the consistency of thick yoghurt. Season to taste.
- Grease a 25cm x 25cm lasagne dish with olive oil.
- Line the base of the prepared dish with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spread over half the pumpkin mixture, then top with another layer of lasagne sheets. Sprinkle with half the ricotta mixture a hand full of the grated cheese and spread it evenly. Top with ½ kale, then cover with another layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat and then finish with remaining grated cheese.
- Cook for 35 – 40 minutes until the top is golden. Enjoy with friends, family and colleagues.
We Love Leftovers:
This recipe is perfect for using up old cheese you may have in the fridge. This recipe can last in the fridge for 4-5 days and in the freezer for six months. If you are cooking just for yourself it’s a great option to freeze individual portions, ready for whenever you need them.