- One large bunch of Silverbeet cut into 1-inch pieces
- One head of Broccoli, chopped roughly
- 4 ounces mushrooms (such as crimini, oyster, and stemmed shiitake), sliced
- 4 tablespoons Tasmanian extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan and add a drizzle of olive oil, sauté onions and garlic on a medium heat. Once onions are soft and translucent add chopped broccoli and mushrooms, stirring frequently, cook for five minutes.
- Bring milk, water, polenta, salt, and pepper to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, add silver beet, two tablespoons olive oil to pan. Sauté until silver beet has wilted and broccoli is tender, about 6 minutes. Add chicken broth; simmer until broth is slightly reduced, about 6 minutes. Stir in thyme, lemon peel and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk butter and Parmesan into polenta and divide among plates. Top with stir-fry mixture.
LOVE FOOD HATE WASTE: Don’t throw away your silverbeet stems; chop them finely and add them to your stir-fry – they become tender and absorb the dish’s flavours to make a delicious addition to any stir-fry or sauté.