- 500 g minced free-range pork
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2–3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1–2 sprigs coriander finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
For the Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
Enjoy the meatballs with cooked vermicelli noodles 400g, butter lettuce leaves, carrot, mixed fresh herbs (such as coriander and mint) and lime wedges.
For the dipping sauce
In a medium bowl, dissolve the sugar fish sauce vinegar and water.
Add the garlic lime juice and chilli and mix until well-combined. Set the sauce aside.
For the meatballs
For the meatballs, combine all the ingredients except the oil in a bowl and mix well. Roll into 20-24 walnut- size meatballs, then set aside. Heat a large chargrill or fry pan with some vegetable oil and cook the meatballs until they are golden and caramelised.
- Place some salad and vegetables on the bottom of each bowl or plate.
- Place a good handful of noodles on top of the salad.
- Top with however many meatballs you like. Garnish with some herbs, roughly torn.
- Generously drizzle some Vietnamese dipping sauce over the noodles and meatballs and use chopsticks to mix everything together.
- Provide each person with a bowl of dipping sauce to drizzle over the noodles and to dip the meatballs into. Enjoy with family and friends!