Red, velvety and choc-filled brownies—these have to be our favourite winter treat!
- Clean and chop your beetroot, place in a steamer, and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat oven to 180°C. While the beetroot cooks, grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tin and roughly chop the chocolate.
- Tip the cooked beetroot into a sieve, drain off any excess liquid, then put into a food processor or blender with the chocolate, olive oil and vanilla. Blend until the mix is smooth and combined. Allow to cool.
- Combine the sugar and eggs into a large bowl, using hand whisk or beater until thick, pale and foamy. Add the cooled beetroot mix into the bowl and combine using a large spoon. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until risen all over.
- Cool completely in the tin, then cut into squares. Top with chocolate icing, a dusting of cocoa powder or icing sugar to serve.
- For the icing: Blend all ingredients in a food processor (mix until smooth and creamy). Let chill in the fridge for an hour before spreading onto brownie.
Store leftover brownies in the freezer and defrost individual portions for a lunchbox treat or afternoon snack. (Note, freeze brownies without icing mixture)