The ultimate refuge for stale bread: whether it’s a leftover loaf, half picked-at dinner rolls, or the last few slices in the pantry, transform them into this classic comfort dish to save food and eat well.
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish with olive oil.
- Brush the bread with melted butter on one side, then cut into triangles and arrange a layer of bread on the dish, butter side up. Sprinkle with cinnamon and repeat until all the bread is used up.
- To make the custard, heat the milk gently in a pan over low heat. Be careful not to boil or it may curdle. Add the vanilla essence. Place the eggs and honey in a small bowl and whisk slightly, then pour over the milk. Continue to stir until the mixture is to the desired consistency, then strain.
- Pour the custard over the bread and leave to soak for at least 20 mins, then sprinkle with extra cinnamon and nutmeg if desired.
- Bake for 30—40 mins until golden. Serve immediately.