Our take on the classic Shakshuka—an easy breakfast (or any time of day) recipe.
It’s a simple combination of onions, garlic, spices and gently poached eggs. We’ve added seasonal greens and a harissa-spiced yoghurt dressing to make this a hearty, veg-packed meal.
- Drain and wash canned chickpeas. In a medium frypan, heat the oil, half of the paprika and garlic over a medium heat. Add the chickpeas to the pan and stir regularly—so to avoid burning. Cook chickpeas for 5-7 minuets or until crispy and golden. Remove from pan and set aside to cool
- In the same pan, add a splash of olive oil and add the remaining paprika and garlic to the pan, with the chopped onions. Sauté over medium heat for 5-7 mins until onions are soft and golden.
- Scatter over the chopped kale and sauté with the onion mixture for 3-5 mins. With your wooden spoon or spatular make four holes in the kale mix, ready for your eggs.
- Crack and place an egg in each of the holes and turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Allow your eggs to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- While your eggs are cooking make the harissa dressing. In a small bowl combine the greek yoghurt, 1 tablespoon of paprika, harissa paste, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Uncover your eggs, sprinkle over the crispy chickpeas, chopped herbs, dollop on the harissa dressing and serve straight away from the pan. We love eating this dish with a toasted wholemeal pita bread or re-heated leftover quinoa or rice.