Zeb and Jenna, founders of The Early Bird Market Garden, share their go-to winter recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking dish with aluminium foil and coat with non-stick spray.
- Cut the tops off the pumpkins and, using a spoon, scoop out all of the seeds. Place the pumpkin, bottoms and tops, in the baking dish and brush with two tablespoons olive oil, inside and out. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt.
- Place the pumpkins in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until fork tender but not mushy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and cook the rice for 20 – 25 minutes.
- In a shallow, heavy-bottomed pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the bacon, garlic, and onion, sautéing until softened and fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until everything is tender.
- Drain and add the cooked rice, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the black pepper, cayenne pepper, heavy cream, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Divide the rice mixture evenly between the four pumpkins, packing it inside the hollowed-out centre. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese with the breadcrumbs. Top each pumpkin with the breadcrumb mixture and dot with pieces of the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Place the filled pumpkins in the oven again and bake for 10-12 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
This recipe is perfect for using up leftover risotto. Also try making your own breadcrumbs using any old and stale bread you may have in the pantry