Did you know fennel and tomato is a veggie match made in heaven? Our tuscan twist on braised fennel makes the most of seasonal fennel and uses canned tomatoes for a divine winter dinner dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- For the breadcrumb topping, if using stale bread, place bread in a food processor and pulse into breadcrumbs. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.
- Heat butter and oil in a 1.5L (6-cup) heavy-based flameproof casserole over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, and marjoram, and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes or until softened slightly.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove lid and stir through tomato.
- Scatter breadcrumb topping over the vegetables.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 40 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Scatter with pecorino or Parmesan to serve.